Friday, November 13, 2009

My Broken Cisterns Never Seem to Stay Filled...

"My people hae committed two sins: they have forsaken me, the Spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that hold no water." (Jeremiah 2:13)

I haven't blogged in a really long time. Mostly because I've been "too busy" which is really just a cop-out. After a lovely conversation with my beautiful friend Melody the other day, I've decided that the best way for me to process today is to get back to my blog.

I've been super tied up with moving into our new house and getting ready for the wedding. In all of the kafuffle, I feel like I've forgotten how to plug-in. I found myself getting extremely frustrated with everything in my life this morning and I couldn't figure out why. Nothing was all that terrible. Then I realized. It's been about 6 days since I've really had any good God time. Then this came up in the book that I'm reading when I finally sat down to have some time with God and it totally applies to where I'm at at this moment. Funny how that happens, eh?
I just love this picture. God is there. He's the Spring of living water. He's completely available and longing for relationship with his people. And the people of Israel, his chosen nation, the ones that God chose to bear his name to the nations, are completely ignoring the only true source of freedom and fulfillment and chasing after other things that they think are going to make them happy. Broken Cisterns.

So, this is me, trying to figure out what my broken cisterns are and stop trying to get what I need from them.
Instead of seeking God, the Spring of living water, I'm seeking purpose and freedom and fulfillment from other people and places. I'm so fickle. The way to God is even more open to me than it was to the people of Israel. In their time, Jesus hadn't come yet and opened the way to God, so the people could only experience God in the temple. God's presence was confined to the Holy of Holies in the temple. A place separated from the rest of the temple by a veil. Only the high priest could enter the Holy of Holies and only once a year. When Jesus was crucified, that massive, heavy veil was torn in two from top to bottom. God sent his spirit to dwell in people instead of just in the temple and we are called in the book of Hebrews to "approach the throne of grace with confidence." (Hebrews 10:19)

So, I will do just that! I will approach the throne of grace knowing that Jesus has made a way for me and that God will forgive me for seeking what I need from broken cisterns. It's nice to know that my tendency to seek what I need from other places is something that everyone struggles with. It's nice to not be alone. What I need now is to keep on going back to the Spring of living water where my only true freedom and fulfillment can be found.

I tried the broken cisterns, Lord
But, ah! the waters failed
E'en as I stooped to drink they fled
And mocked me as I wailed

Now none but Christ can satisfy,
None other name for me;
There's love and life and lasting joy,
Lord Jesus, found in thee.

What a relief! I knew I needed to get things out!

1 comment:

  1. I came to your blog, not expecting anything new with plans to tell you that I was thinking you should post sometime close to your wedding...just since it's been awhile. Anyways, I really like what you wrote and it's been things I have been thinking about a lot lately as well. When I'm feeling like I haven't had some REAL God time lately, or like I'm trying to get it from situations and not truly seeking Him I think about what you said this summer during Teen Girls. About how when you don't see a friend for a long time you just want to be as close as possible to them and just absorb their essence (something like that). THAT is the direction I want my heart to go in, and I remind myself of that...and I know truly, that when I'm away from Him for ahwile, I just want to be as close as possible, and having that image that you gave me this summer just makes that 100 times easier. Just knowing...I miss Him and want to be close to Him!
    And I am SO thankful that God gets to live within us and we are not separated by the veil. Praise Him!:)

    ReplyDelete